Peppermint and chocolate is a classic combination that we traditionally see during Christmas, usually served in beverages or in desserts. I tried to adapt this in a home-made ice cream recipe that I came across a few months back using peppermint candies and chocolate-coated wafer bars. It is a simple Holiday treat that could give a sweet end to a filling Christmas Eve/ Noche Buena meal.
2 250 ml Nestle All-purpose Cream (boxed ones), chilled overnight
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup powdered sugar (this will depend on your taste; just remember that the more sugar you add, the harder the ice creambase will be as this helps in the crystalization/ ice formation in the ice cream)
10 peppermint candies (red and white circular ones), crushed
2 4-pieces pack of Kitkat chocolate, roughly crushed or cut into smaller pieces
green food color (optional)
pinch of salt (acts as a preservative)
1. In a big bowl, pour in the chilled cream and carefully break it up a bit with a wire whisk.
2. Add the powdered sugar and gently whisk together until they are well blended and the mixture becomes shiny, making sure that it remains aerated. You can also add the food color at this point, adding as much to reach your desired green color.
3. Fold in the peppermint candies and the chocolate.
4. Freeze for about 3-4 hours.
5. Thaw for about 10 minutes before serving.
I hope you enjoy this dessert as much as we did.
*picture c/o Google search, I was not able to take a picture of this when I prepared it last Christmas